The Women’s clinic at Spittal Street is a confidential and discreet service for women involved in the commercial sex industry (such as selling sex on line, working in saunas and on the street) and/or women who use substances.
The Spittal Street Women's Clinic is a joint initiative between NHS Lothian's Harm Reduction Team, Chalmers Centre and Sacro's Another Way service.
We offer a holistic service to provide support in all areas of your life.
Using a harm reduction and human rights model, the women’s clinic team protects the rights and safety of sex workers who by choice, circumstance or coercion remain in the industry.
Our aims are:
- To provide a family planning and sexual health screening service
- To promote positive sexual health and well-being
- To provide a non-judgemental, professional and friendly service
- To promote harm reduction in situations associated with substance misuse and sex work
- To empower women to make positive choices and have control over their lives
- To promote human rights and women’s rights.
We are also able to offer the following services:
- All methods of contraception (including coils and implants)
- Cervical smears
- Pregnancy testing
- Abortion referral
- Full Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) screening
- Blood Borne Virus screening/support (including HIV, Hep B, Hep C) and Hep B vaccination
- Safer injecting advice, equipment and take home naloxone
- Gynaecological assessments
- Safety advice and personal alarms
- Emotional, practical and social support
- Referrals to other health-related services
- Direct referral to Sacro’s ‘Another Way’ service
We also offer an outreach service for both indoor and outdoor sex workers. Phone (0131) 537 8300 for more information.
During your consultation at the clinic:
- You will be listened to without being judged
- We will provide you with a space to express your thoughts, feelings and emotions
- You will be able to explore positive coping strategies
- We will assist you in dealing with past or current issues that are causing you distress
- You will be dealt with in a confidential and sensitive manner
Referrals can be made into specialist services such as addictions, counselling, social support etc, should this be deemed appropriate
Should there be any language difficulty, you can access our confidential telephone translation service. They will translate all information discussed into your preferred language.
Clinics for this service are now held at Chalmers Centre on Wednesday afternoons and at 22 – 24 Spittal Street, Edinburgh, EH3 9DU on Thursday afternoons. Click here for more details
Alternatively, you can telephone (0131) 537 8300 or 07769887112 for more information or email the team at email@example.com.
In addition to the clinicians present at the clinic, we also have guest services who attend on a rotational basis. They can also be available to you upon request.
These include the Citizens Advice Bureau; Employability (City of Edinburgh Council) & Specialist support services.
We also work very closely with Edinburgh homeless practice and the prison services should you seek advice from any of these.
If you work in the sex industry, we are able to provide you with tips on keeping yourself safe, safety alarms and we also operate as a “remote reporting site,” should you find yourselves being the victim of a crime.
Alternatively, you can report any incidents to the National Ugly Mugs Project. This is a website that allows you to look if there are any dodgy punters who have been reported in your area and a means to make others aware if you have been the victim of abuse. Crimestoppers have a free phone line where you can anonymously report ugly mugs/dodgy punters. They have been part of a ‘Stop Ugly Mugs’ campaign. The number to call is 0800 555 111.
Or you can report on www.uknswp.org/um
The United Kingdom of National Sex Workers Project (UKNSWP) offer further advice on keeping yourself safe. You can find this at;
If you are a sex worker you can sign up to the National Ugly Mugs Scheme for FREE and receive warnings about dangerous individuals who are a threat to you.